Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sleep!

I get to sleep tonight! There's no school tomorrow because of parent teacher interviews. I'm certainly not complaining. =) Also means I get to stay up all night chatting, which will probably be nice.

Blah, physics is so stupid. One minute I get it, and then I don't. Hopefully circular motion will go better then dynamics, although not if it includes the coefficiant of friction...that I've never understood. I can't decide if Craig hates me, likes me, thinks I'm smart, or thinks I'm hopeless at physics. Hm...

Other then that, today was pretty good. Lunch was interesting...as much as I'd like to be able to listen to three different people talk to me about three different subjects and be able to actually keep up with the converstation, I really can't. Believe me, I tried today. Sorry if I seemed like I was ignoring you, or getting frustrated or anything but, geez, 45 minutes of going: Aidan, Alistair, Aidan, Henry, Andrea, Alistair, Aidan, Henry, Kate, Aidan, Alistair, Kate, Henry, Andrea, Alistair, Henry, Aidan...=P

I got my music for NYB today! I'm so excited. We're playing two Grainger pieces! The Gum-Suckers March, and Australian Up-Country Tune. It's awesome, especially since I've never played either of those before. We're also playing...
'joe's last mix' by Tanner Menard. I've never heard of it, but I've got strings of eighth notes at half note = 96-112, so it looks pretty fun. It's also four pages long.
"An Original Suite for military band" by Gordon Jacob. Gordon Jacob wrote pieces for bassoon, and from the look of his music, he's just as kind in his band scores.
'O Canada for concert band' by Calixa Lavallee, arr. by Howard Cable. Doesn't look much different from all the other arrangements of O Canada that I've done. I believe I've played something by Howard Cable before, but I can't remember what it is. Anybody want to help me?
'Rainbow Ripples (solo xylophone and band)' by George Hamilton Green. Bassoon part doesn't look amazing, but xylophone solo? That's gotta make it an awesome piece.
'Epiphanies: Fanfares and Chorales' by Ron Nelson. Nelson wrote Courtly Airs and Dances, which we did last year in concert band. Looks like this piece is more exciting than that one. Lots of tempo changes, and I get strings of triplets at one point. I like triplets.
Ilyrian Dances by Guy Woolfenden. I thought I played this once...but looking at the music I can't remember it. Maybe it's one of those pieces that Corey just talks about so much I've begun to think I've played it before...I'll ask him. I know I definitely recognize it, something's just telling me that Corey's the one who told me about it.
'Dance I' by Dmitri Shostakovich. =) I'm so excited for this one. We played it last year in All Cities, and it's so fun. That's coming from someone who doesn't play anything harder then octave eighth notes, but still, I love it.
'Fortress' by Frank Ticheli. Ticheli's not usually a huge fan of his bassoons...and this pattern seems to be continuing with this piece. It's actually quite fast (quarter = 126-132), but I still have nothing faster then quarters, with the occasional couple of eighths here and there.
'La Procession du Rocio' by Joaquin Turnia, arr. by Alfred Reed. Doesn't look like a bad piece, though I've seen better bassoon parts. Alfred Reed's another name I recognize, but I can't remember from where...I don't even know if it's from solo stuff or ensemble stuff...
Concertino (for four percussion and wind ensemble) by David R. Gillingham. Looks like a good piece. I've got little things of sixteenths here and there, so I'm really interested to see how it sounds.
And finally, Fantasia in G major by Bach. Which is just pretty straightforward, and doesn't look like it'll take a lot of work to pull it together.

So there's all my music from NYB. I'm very happy with all of it, save for maybe the Ticheli. But even so, I'm so excited to play through it. And then play it with the band! =)

Wow, commenting on that much music really takes some time and energy...but it is awesome music. And if all that's the second bassoon part, I can only imagine what first will be like...or rather, I can wonder whether it's really super amazing, or just an octave/fifth/third above the second. I guess we'll see.

~Calminaiel~

"I'm hungry...I have 30 cents..."

No comments: